W.R. Baker Reads "Lazarus Wigley" (2011)

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

In the West

He or she that is within us
when we are bright and young
when we are calm and knowledgeable
when we rage at despair,
against tyranny and betrayal,
who governs our actions
is a Shadow King. In play we begin
to hide the truth from those who
would have us killed.
So it begins: the liberation of mankind - out from under
her skirts and into the dark sweet wine drenched arc of another's.

I'm a follower of a force I cannot name.
Grand thoughts are assembled here
in some of the finest, bravest
minds in our land.
It's not easy to know what you know,
but you are the seed
from which a New America MAY GROW.


OPENING SCENE


It's you my daughter on the stage.
I'm in the audience. The lighting is
Exquisite; a deep, quiet red envelops the stage.
"what's wrong with you, I ask?
Do you feel slightly uncomfortable,
feeling perhaps maybe you've done
something wrong? Now I know
you haven't and you should know
you've done your best. You
have a good job. You are the District Attorney in Oklahoma City."
You smile


"I know you're concerned about your weight, but look where you came from. Inside that
weight are you carrying a pain
unrelated to the weight?"


(She turns her back to me and
begins to sing softly.)


"I want to be loved by somebody just like me. Please, come from where you might be.
I need to see your eyes sparkly with unanimity. A kiss of passion will kindle my desire for Thee."


"O darling, you share this feeling
with tens of millions of your
fellow Americans. Are they all
around you? What kind of drugs
do you take to ease the pain?"


"Zoloft made me fat."


"Yes. I understand. Your
underlying sadness makes you beautiful."


"Father, I want you to know
that is 15 years ago I was diagnosed
with social anxiety disorder. Remember Father how afraid I was of leaving
home. I denied my feelings
and placed them in a Wharehouse
and locked the door."


"But you had the key, my dear."


"Yes, Father, I believe now
is the time to open the door.
I will not be afraid of being
conforonted, of standing alone
in the spotlight."


(She exits stage left.)


No comments:

Post a Comment